Monday, August 13, 2012

Body Odd

Current Weight: 166.6
Lost so far: 43.4
Pounds to go: 11.6

When I first started on this journey towards a healthier me I was, of course, in awful shape.  Some friends of mine had a regular hike that was about 4 miles and I started going with them.  Around the top (2 miles in), I started to feel pain in my left hip area that felt like I had slightly pulled something.  I figured I wasn't used to hills so that was probably the cause of it and since the pain went away and eventually stopped happening it was safe to assume that building the muscle up fixed the problem. 

Fast forward to now.  I'm much lighter than I was then and I no longer get that pulled feeling but now I'm having other issues.  For the last 2 weeks I've noticed more discomfort when sleeping on my left side (I usually switch back and forth between sides throughout the night).  I thought it was because the hip stuck out more and maybe it made me uncomfortable because it didn't have as much padding?  I wrote it off a bit.  But off and on for the last 2 days my hip has gone completely numb.  Today the numbness is even radiating sideways into the pelvic area.  I did go for a short run this morning (15 minutes of walk/jog alternating) but prior to that I had not exercised for a few days so that wouldn't explain yesterday's numbness. 

I made an appointment with the doctor for next Monday so maybe I'll find a solution.  A friend of mine said that it may just be that while running my strong right side can do the exercise but my naturally weaker left side isn't up to the task yet.  He thinks the problem will likely resolve itself over time as I get more used to the routine of running.  Thoughts?  Anyone experienced this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment