Monday, January 16, 2012

Starting the Record

I stepped onto the scale and read 210. At 5'10" and with a BMI of 30.1 I was officially obese. I shuddered at the word.



That was a few weeks ago. We bought an elliptical (my treadmill finally died) and started a diet. This morning I weighed in at 203.5.

I did not make a New Year's resolution to lose weight because I don't make New Year's resolutions. They fail to often and I never make them for anything. We've been talking about making this change for a few months and that number was my motivator to finally do it. 210.

I did make a decision that even though my clothes were getting tight I will NOT buy new ones. I have a full wardrobe of smaller clothes and I have decided to wear those instead, though it will take a few extra months to get there. I'm aiming for 160 lbs, which for me will be a size 10. As a bonus, I already have the clothes so it will be like going shopping without having to spend all of the money!

I know that my health is important, but I need to make sure my willpower can stay strong. So, as an extra incentive to myself (and since I won't have to spend any money for my regular clothes) I am allowing an extravagent purchase when I reach my goal. I want to have a beautiful dress for a gala that happens in November but the dress that I am in love with is so expensive I would otherwise never buy it ($500!!). I am not allowed to order it until my scale says 160, no cheating.



Opposite the usual advice, I live by my scale. If the number goes down, I feel relief at seeing it fall, even in the smallest amounts. If it doesn't, I use that as a motivator to work harder today than I did yesterday so that tomorrow the number will move. So I will post my weight every day to help keep me in check. I will also post any good food ideas that work for me as I find them in case someone else is interested.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment